Monday, July 9, 2012

My Love Story

In February I was invited to speak at the Ladies Retreat that my church helps host every year about my love for orphans. Several people have asked me to post my love story with South Africa, and with my "daughter" Catie Belle. While you are reading this pretend like you can see me sobbing while reading this story to my audience, and you will feel like you were there! ;) 

I hope this helps you to understand why I say I've left my heart in South Africa....

"When Linda asked me to speak about love, I questioned why- I've never even had a boyfriend! She then told me she wanted me to share about my love for orphans- now that is something I could talk about!

I've  been in love since the 7th grade. I've loved Africa since then and I can't explain why. I've been fascinated with their culture and the people themselves. I SO desperately wanted to go experience life in Africa.

I was finally able to go to South Africa my sophmore year of college, and my world was turned upside down. I fell in love with the children I met, but especially the orphans. As I returned to the States weeping, I knew this love for Africa was no coincidence. God had given me a passion for Africa so that I could go and find my true calling to love orphans.

A couple of summers later, I returned to South Africa and while touring the township we were volunteering in, we drove past another organization. I began to ask questions about what they did, and soon enough it was arranged that some of the team I was with would go check it out.

What you might not know about me is that here in the States I'm a special education teacher. So the next day when I was led into the special needs classroom, I knew God's hand was at work. Not only do they help provide an education for these children, but a home for many as well, because most children born with obvious disabilities at birth are left at the hospital to die.

The minute I walked into the room I laid my eyes on the prettiest little girl I've ever seen. I can't explain it. I was drawn to her. I asked the teachers about her. Her name was Catherine and she lived at the group home that Agape ran and also attended their school. I was also warned that she waas usually very shy with strangers so I shouldn't expect her to let me get close. After giving her some time, soon enough she as letting me help her and hold her. It felt perfect. Leaving her that day was extremely difficult, but I begged God to give me the change to be with her again.

One year later God enabled me to lead my youngest sister Rachel, my cousin Alissa, and friend Nicole, back to South Africa, but particularly back to Agape. While I had been visiting Agape the previous summer the director Ami had come to "check in". I told her about my passion and love for orphans, especially those with special needs. She invited me to come back to work with them, and this time I brought family and friends with to experience life change. So for six weeks this past summer I did what drives me. What makes my heart pound: loving on orphans, showing them that they are special and important to not only me, but to Our Father.

When I first arrived at Agape I searched for Catherine. When our eyes met, she remembered me and I fell in love with my baby girl all over again!!!

Spending everyday with her was priceless. Loving on her and the other kids who so desperately need love, completes me. In the last three weeks ther eI finally felt at peace, like I was doing what I was made to do. Being a "mommy" to my beloved Catie Belle when she has none and using my talents and education to help those who cannot help themselves, has completely and drastically changed me.

With God's continued guidance and love I'm planning on returning to "my babies" on a long term basis- hopefully this fall. My heart aches for my children. Even though they aren't biologically or lawfully mine (well not yet anyway), I have this overwhelming love for them. I can't explain it really. I've been told when I talk about Africa and my "babies" I glow. I guess that's because being there with those kids is what makes my heart sing.

What's your passion? What makes your heart sing? What or who do you love?

James 1:27 says "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of Our Father means that we must care for the orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us."

Be Aware. Let your heart be open to the orphans. I'm not saying that  you have to move to Africa or bring one home from China. We have orphans here too. Be conscious of what you can do: Pray. Get involved. Ask God to use you in a mighty way.

I love orphans. I love Grabouw, South Africa. I love Agape Family Ministries. I love my darling Catie Belle. Most importantly though I love and adore my God who brought everything together so perfectly and creatively.

Go love."



Thank you to my mom, Gwen, and Mary Ann for coming to support me while I poured my heart and tears, out to mostly complete strangers. It was hard, and is still hard now, to be so vulnerable with my feelings, but the God I serve is AMAZING!!!! Because what you may not know is that after I spoke a complete stranger came up to me and suggested I check out CTEN, which was the confirmation I was looking for because I wasn't sure if they were a legit sending organization!!!

 Obedience can sometimes be hard or scary, but is SOOOOO rewarding!!!! 





2 comments:

  1. AMEN! I love you! I love how God is working in you! and I love knowing He is leading you and you are listening! LOVE YOU SO MUCH CUZ!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read this story. I had seen pics on Facebook but am glad to know more now. You are so cool, and I am proud of you for going! I love orphans too. We'll be adopting our foster son in the next few months!

    ReplyDelete