Friday, July 23, 2010

Last Post from Africa

So LOTS of things have happened in the last week, but I don't have much time to post everything- we are only @ the internet cafe for a limited time. Sorry that the last posting was cut short. The loading of the pics took a long time and I ended up being the last person in the shop as it closed while I was still typing! I didn't realize it though because I was so engrossed in my blog!!

PTL's:

We finished all of the physical labor projects for us at Village of Hope and ThembaCare. We were most excited to finish pouring the concrete for the bike track at VOH for the kids. I wish we could be there to see their faces when it is finally dry and they can take their bikes out for the first ride! :)

On Tuesday of this week Cindy and I were able to go to the Agape 2 school, a Christian school in the township of Grabouw. They are building their 5th school as we speak. It's an amazing Creshe (like cresh0), sort of like our preschool/ Kindergarten in the states because they don't start school until Grade 1. I was able to spend the day in Asi's class of children with Special Needs. I absolutely loved it. I felt so at home and my mind was racing the entire time of ways that I could help improve it. They do the best with what they have, but most of the teachers have no training from a university. One of the teachers was a mother of one of the students. I fell in love with all of the students, but didn't take too many pictures, just a few at the end because I knew it would be such a distraction. It broke my heart though because most of the students were severely handicapped and were only learning letters, numbers, colors, and shapes, my favorite ability level, but this class was meant for kids 3 -6 years of age, and some of the kids my class were 13 years old. They don't have anywhere else to go. It was hard to accept, but I absolutely loved it!!

On Saturday we were able to meet up with Derek, Teresa, Adrian and Gerrida. We climbed Spaar Mountain and then enjoyed an evening with them. I love Teresa so much and I have missed her these past three years. She was such a blessing and it was so wonderful to catch up with her!! Thank you Lord!

On Sunday we went to church with them and it was amazing!!! I went up front to pray with Teresa at the end of the service for guidance and a content heart and it was such a blessing to have her pray over me, but then a complete stranger in the church came and prayed over me and spoke things about my life that have happened already. She also told me that God had given me a gift and I was to use it. It was so powerful, you could really feel the hand of God moving.


Prayer Requests:

Being with each other for this long does cause stress. Cindy and I at times feel useless because generally we don't get to help with the physical projects or we are left places and forgotten for hours. It is clearly Satan attacking us and trying to put a wedge in between us.

We are trying to do some tourist-y things and we are going to be doing a lot of driving. Most of the time, Cindy and I are stuck in the backseat and it is small and very uncomfortable. Please pray for a fun and peaceful experience for this weekend as we relax after all our hard work, and then return to VOH to say our final goodbyes.


I will post more when I return home as this is the last time we will have internet access.

I am so sad to leave this place, but I am very happy to see my family and friends. Why don't you all just move here with me so I can have the best of both worlds?

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again. So glad you got to spend time helping at the special needs school. I know those kids got some good lovin' that day! Can't wait to see you sweetie and hear your stories!! Love You! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading your blogs! I know it's going to be hard for you to leave but hope these last few days there are wonderful for you and the team! I'm looking forward to hugging you and hearing your stories when you get back! Love ya, Aunt Niece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Megan, Wow sounds like an awesome time. I love how you mentioned the lady praying over you and prophesying over you. Listen to what God said through her if you agreed with it and it connected with you. I will pray also for guidance and future decisions. If your heart is at such peace there maybe that is where He wants you. Keep your spirits up and don't let satan slip in. Have a great time and listen.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been praying for you as your journey comes to an end in Africa. I know how hard it is for you to say good bye as you leave part of your heart with each little one you met. I agree that God has given you a special gift and I have enjoyed reading your blogs and witnessing how you have used this gift for God's purpose. I will look forward to seeing you and hearing about your amazing journey. Teresa

    ReplyDelete