Saturday, July 16, 2011

End of Week 2

Sorry if this gets confusing with all the jumping around, but if I do it what I think is order of when it happened then I hopefully won't leave anything out!
Week 2:
___________Friday

On this day we hosted a Craft and Game day for all the kids that live in the Agape houses- so about 20 kids total, ranging in age from 3 to 15- quite the gap! It was a messy day, but the kids loved using some of the supplies that we brought along- especially the glitter glue! :) They loved learning how to make paper kites and flowers along with learning how to fold a great paper airplane- thanks to Nicole's paper airplane skills!


_______Saturday:

We left for my friends Theresa and Derick's house in Durbanville for the weekend. On our way we dropped Tannie June (Auntie June) off at the airport. She had been working with Agape for the past 3 months. We hope that she returned safely back to Jersey, which is in the UK, not the states- in case you didn't know.


We spent the evening hearing Derick and Theresa's crazy amazing love story about how God brought them together. Derick challenged us by asking why we were really at their house. Was it because we wanted to visit friends, or was it because God planned that we were their listening to their story? He challenged us to think about God's sovereignity. They have such a great testimony of how great our God is and what living your life for Him really looks like. They are both so wise and encouraging and I strive to be like them! I love them both very much!

We enjoyed a South African dinner- boerewors, which are like sausages. They are quite yummy! We also had some Kudu biltong (Kudu jerky). Kudu is like a deer, but bigger.

____________ Sunday:
I know I've already talked about how impacting this Sunday was, but I'm going to give a little more detail, and I'm going to give the sermon notes their own space on my blog because I don't want to leave any of it out!

At the beginning of the service, the pastor invited me up on stage to tell what we are doing as missionaries here in SA. Honestly, I don't know what I said because I was so nervous that I "blacked out". Alissa reassured me that it was great though! Again the service was about "detours" of God. It was so crazy how much I needed to hear this sermon. This is why I was there. This was God's sovereignity. I cried, renewed my trust that God has great plans for my life, although I might not know them right now, and renewed my joy in the mighty God that I serve.  What a blessed time!

The pastor challenged the Joshua Generation congregation to get to know us and invite us for lunch. Talk about feeling the love! :) The young adult group invited us over for lunch and it provided to be more of a blessing than they probably realize! We met some really great people and had a blast! They fed us and taught us how to play their "German" version of Uno {Janessa, Kyler, and Gwen- get ready to learn a new game!}.

*Spending time with other young adults was so wonderful and encouraging, but also opened my eyes to what I'm really missing out at home. There really aren't too many young adults at my home church, so having a group like that won't happen. It made me realize that I need to get out and find my own group- I need that encouragement and group of people my own age to relate with. I can't wait to find a group when I get home! ** Don't worry lady friends- this doesn't mean you are being replaced or forgotten- I still love all of you very much and our friendships will continue to bloom! *

Later that evening we attended "The Gathering". JoshGen has congregations throughout the Capetown area, and once a month they get together to meet and give the glory to Jesus. What a blessing! The worship was FANTABULOUS and the sermon was inspiring!!! They are starting new movement called 4:12 Movement, based on Eph. 4:12, calling Christians to live radically for Jesus and to let go of the lazy Christian life and attitude. It was so encouraging, and interesting because they were talking about sending missionaries to the US!

God is awesome and gave us not only the opportunity to spend some quality time with Him, checking our hearts, but also allowed us the opportunity to meet some great brothers and sisters in Christ! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love hearing about all the amazing things in your life! It sounds like this trip is truly awesome! Hugs to you and those beautiful kids! Candi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as Derick and Theresa are inspiring to you, you inspire me to become closer to the Lord. Thank you for the sermon summary. It really had some powerful messages in it for all of us. I am glad to hear us "older" friends are not going to be replaced by a "newer" model! I have no doubt that you will be able to find a commited Christian group when you return.
    You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Teresa

    ReplyDelete