Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 2

We are still at the mall waiting for our ride, so I might as well continue catching you all up!!!

WEEK 2:
On Monday, we had a touristy kind of day. Ami and Gerrit told us they were going to take us to Table Mountain and Cape of Good Hope (where Cape Point and Dias beach are). We weren't allowed to climb the mountain, because fo all the rain- thank goodness!! I didn't know if I could do that again! We rode the trolley to the top, explored, took lots of pictures, and headed back down. We then drove around False Bay stopping for fish for lunch, and a treat- ice cream! { We don't have a freezer, so we can only get it when we go out}


We finally ended up at Cape Point, but didn't have too much time before the park closed. It was neat to go back to see where the Indian and Atlantic come together. I spent some time alone just praying- which was much needed. This was my 3rd time there, so I didn't need to wander around quite as much. At the park, we finally saw some baboons and what we think is a kudu or ibex- not sure which one it is. We also saw the famous rock hyraxes, or rock pirates on this day. We did a lot of walking and traveling so by the time we got home we were wiped out!

Tuesday was wonderful- I got to spend most of the late morning and all of the afternoon with Catherine!!! I went to Asiphe` to help feed the kids, then to help put them down for their naps, then for the rest of the afternoon Catherine and I played, made crafts, with the supplies I brought along with and even went for a walk down to Thembacare, another organization that I worked with last year. It was great to get Catherine out and about, and my friends at Thembacare loved seeing her. It was great to see Joyce and Christa again! The more time I spend with Catherine the more I love her and wish that I could do more for her, like bring her home with me! She is sooooo very smart and has so much potential, but it won't happen where she is at now. We laughed together alot- which I absolutely adored!

On Wednesday we spent the day at Asiphe`- YEAH!- and just helped with out with the kids again- feeding, stretching, and changing. Again I love being here....it is such a blessing!! That night we went to the young adult group, but they took us to Elgin Timbers where we held a service to learn about Lees and Daz's new project. We then prayed over people in the community- and I forgot to mention that 50 some people showed up from a church in Somerset West came to be a part of the service as well. It was a great night and the tiny building was packed full of people!!

On Thursday, we had another "touristy" kind of day. We went into Capetown and went to the Jewish Museum and Holocaust Museum. I know you are probably thinking to yourself "Why?" but I think it is so important to understand other religions so that you can better defend yours. It was interesting and I learned alot, but it also made me so sad. There religion is all about rules and holidays that you must celebrate and not at all about relationship. The Holocaust museum was great, but sad. It was laid out well and was full of lots information. We then ventured to the "Green Market" where we bartered for our goods. It is hectic, but in a way fun. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I'm getting a little better at it. We rode the train home, which was a little scary, but a great experience.

I must get off, but I can't tell you about how God worked this past weekend when we went to visit my friends Theresa and Derick. They are incredible people with an incredible story on how God brought them together. We got to go to their church called "Joshua Generation" in the morning and evening services. They are radical Christians and I LOVE IT!!!! Oh how the words and worship spoken has lit a new fire in me!!!! In the morning service the pastor talked about the "detours" of God. I NEEDED TO HEAR THIS MESSAGE. It spoke directly to my heart and the way I've been feeling. I'm going to dedicate an entire blog just to this sermon later.

Here are some of the powerful worship lyrics from the worship at the evening service:

" Take my heart and give me yours
Take my will, I want it no more
Have my thoughts, they're yours completely
Take my selfish motives away
Fill up every valley in me
Come displace me so that just you pours out."


My heart is  POUNDING in South Africa !!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated on your experiences! Love you all! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Megan! Your passion is such a blessing!! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear Megan - I can see why your heart is pounding in South Africa and overflowing with love. I am so glad that you were able to reconnect with children and friends from you last visit. Your little Catherine is beautiful and I see why she has stolen your heart. Your enthusiasm for serving God through your work with these children is such an inspiration to me. I will look forward to your next blog. Take care and know I send my Love and prayers! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates, Megan!! How amazing God is and it's exciting to see how He's working in your life while you're there! Like there was ever any doubt!? You are greatly missed, but I know you're right where God wants you! Enjoy and embrace every moment there! Love you...and praying!! Mary Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ducky, I think it's a beautiful thing that you are doing for those kids. I love reading about what is going on over there, ayou've inspired me to be a better christain. I hope one day i can go over there to help out and make a child's life brighter
    Love you Ducky,
    Beverly Russell.

    ReplyDelete