Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 1

So I'm able to update you sooner than I thought I would! We were supposed to be picked up from shopping @ 1:30 but now they aren't coming until 5, so we have lots of time to blog!!! It will probably be a long post so I hope you enjoy!!There will not be any pictures this time because I don't have my cords here at the mall but hopefully more pics will be coming soon! :)

WEEK ONE:
So the first week that we were here we were divided amongst the schools- since there are four schools and four of us! Each day we got to spend time in a different school so we could get the full experience. Some of our days were cut short because we had to go with Ami and Gerrit to do something, but we enjoyed spending the day with the kids at each place. I was sad because the day that I was at the school for children with special needs I had to leave early. We only had one week to work with the kids before they went on "Winter break", but it was still worth it! Most evenings we spend with Ami and Gerrit's adopted children at Agape 4 (right next door to our little "cottage"). We teach them fun games, like "Signs" and "Spoons" and they've taught us a few games as well. We have lots of fun!

On Tuesday of the first week I took the girls up to Village of Hope (where I worked last summer). It was so great to see all of the "mommies" and the kids, and to meet up with Maz, one of the women that runs VOH. What a blessing to be able to go back to see my kiddos, well some of them, after a year has passed! Zanu, one of the babies I fell in love with last summer, is now walking and talking! It's amazing how much changes in a year!!

On Wednesday we were told that we were going to Monkeytown for an outing or field trip. We were all excited to go with the kids- but it was quite hectic because there were 91 three to seven year olds- who don't speak English- and maybe 20 of us. Let's just say it was a long day making sure the kids didn't get the fingers bit off by the monkeys. And Uncle Larry- I saw a real meerkat, and they don't look anything like an otter! ;)

That night we went to a young adult Bible study that my friends Lees and Daz lead at their home. I met them last year through VOH, but since they have left VOH to start their own ministry to a small group/ part of Grabouw called Elgin Timbers. This people group is some of the most destitute in the area. None of them have electricity  or running water- so on the nights where we complain of being cold with our 2 blankets each, I feel pretty guilty. They all cook their food over a fire. We met some cool young people, most of them linked with missionary organizations in Grabouw. We talked about giving, not just with our money, but our time as well. It was a great lesson, but it was hard to meet the others because the power went out right before we arrived because of the major storm happening. They have invited us to come for the whole time that we are here- so I can't wait to see how God is going to work through the study! Oh, and by the way we fit 9 adults into a 5 passenger car- let's just say it was TIGHT!!! :)

On Thursday our plans were changed up again, but since Alissa and I will be here when the kids return to school, we let Rachel and Nicole pick which schools they wanted to go to. Alissa and I went to Asiphe`== which I was MORE than happy to do! :) I love being there! It is exhausting and I always leave with food or snot on me, but I just love being their will my beautiful babes! We helped feed the kids, change them, and get them out of their wheelchairs for their stretches. It is so sad to see them just sitting, since there is little stimulation. 

But once the kids went down for their afternoon naps Catherine and I got to spend 2 hours alone together--- and it was FANTABULOUS!!! We used some of the craft supplies that I had brought along with me to make bracelets out of pipe cleaners- and she loved it!! That little girl has SUCH  a BIG spot in my heart. Saying goodbye to her is going to be the hardest thing I think I do this entire trip.

On Friday we had the morning off since the kids didn't have school. After our weekly run to the grocery store, we went to help at Kid's Club- a weekly church gathering for kids anywhere from 3 to 12- all mixed together. They introduced us, sang some worship songs and danced, had a mini- lesson, played "Freeze Tag" with us, then had a hot meal to fill their bellies before we sent them home. It was so much fun, but I really wish that I knew Afrikaans-- it would make life SOOOOOO much easier!!! :) One of the little girls that was there, named Jeanie, was one of the children I met while helping at the school on Monday. She was such a different  little girl than she was on Monday. On Monday she was crazy and would stop poking me and running away full of giggles, but at Kid's Club she wouldn't participate or smile about anything. It was so sad, and made me feel really guilty that I had become frustrated when she was putting clumps of dirt in my pockets on Monday.

Saturday and Sundays are our days "off"- we don't have anything set in stone but might end up working if they need us. We ended up taking a bus, with our British friends, who are also volunteers at Agape, to the Somerset West mall to spend the day there. We went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and had a nice meal, but walked around the rest of the day.

On Sunday, we went to Agape church in the Grabouw. The congregation isn't very big, but they are powerful! Worship is ALWAYS amazing, even if we can't always understand the songs because they are in Afrikaans. Gerrit gave a sermon about miracles, not being proud, and sin, and how they relate to each other. It was a great sermon, but it is hard to really soak it all in because the sermons are in Afrikaans. We have someone that translates for us, but they are often quite and you just lose a little something during translation, but one thing that he said that I really liked was this: "God usually gives healing out of sores that you don't like." Powerful and relevant stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment