Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week One

Greetings to all of my wonderful family and friends that are so interested what God is doing in my life in South Africa!  I have been here for a week now, but it feels like I have been here forever. I was happy to have a busy week so that I'm not just sitting around thinking about everyone and everything that I miss from home. The prayers you have sent on my behalf have most certainly been felt as I've adjusted a little better, but still getting settled in my house, my rountine, and my work schedule. I can't lie and say that it has been easy. Adjusting to life away from my family and friends, the language barrier, and the big decisions I'm still praying through have made it a difficult week. Today one of my beloved friends emailed me this verse which is so appropriate for this season:
 
"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16
 
I was also blessed by the encouragement from my church's weekly email that contains a reflective devotional. It was such perfect timing, only something my God can do!
 
 
 
I started my week off this week working at the Agape 4 School for Children with Special Needs and I spent everyday there, except for Friday. I love being there with the kids and the teachers, but the language barrier does prove to be quite a challenge. I know that I will learn it eventually, but it is hard to feel like I never really know what is going on. I'm trying to be a "learner"- to sit back and learn from the teachers and staff here that know the kids, the expectations, and simply know how things can work here. It has been a little challenging at times. Right now, I feel more like an "aide" or assistant than a techer. I spend most of my time changing nappies (diapers), making sure kids are behaving and following along during "class", and feeding those that can't feed themselves. Don't get me wrong- I love what I'm doing- I LOVE the kids, but it is so very different than what I expected and what I'm used to!
Sometimes I feel like things are "unorganized" but I don't know if that is because I don't understand their language or the expectations! Please send extra prayers for my tongue and brain to absorb the language!!! It will make life easier for all involved!!! :)
 
This is CarenLeigh. She has grown such much since last year and is even sitting up on her own and crawling. On Thursday, we fingerpainted flowers since it is now spring time here. We all had a blast!!!
 
 
I've also got to spend more time with Catie Belle and I have loved every minute of it. At first, she didn't really want anything to do with me- and that was hard, but I had tried to prepare myself for that. She has walls of protection at 6 years old because she has so many people coming in and out of her little life. Thankfully, she has warmed up immensely and the past several nights she has begged me not to leave, to stay with her at the Asiphe` House where she lives. She is sooo smart and deserves the world. I love this sweet little girl!!!
 
Catie Belle had a braai at school on Friday and came home with stars on her face! She must be my child for everytime I have the camera out she wants to take TONS of pictures- and she gets grumpy sometimes when I take her picture!!! :)
 
 
On Friday, there was a tannie who was sick but was scheduled to work at the Asiphe` house, so they called to ask if I would work the 7am-7pm shift. I was happy to be there- I felt like I knew more of what I was doing and there wasn't so much of an issue with the language barrier. This is where Alissa and I spent the last 3 weeks when we were here last year, so I already know most of the routine,  the kids and their needs, and most of the tannies (ladies that work in the house- "tannie" means "auntie"). While it was a hard day physically and I left covered in food, I enjoyed every minute of it. I love loving these kids and ladies. I especially enjoyed some time with Ernie and the newest addition to the house: Mignon. She is an 8 month old baby that has no special needs, but when they had to close the baby house because they didn't have parents to care for them, the only place they had for her was in the special needs home. It breaks my heart that she is here, missing out on the development and attention she needs to grow. I loved loving her and spending as much time as I could with her. We are all hoping and praying that her situation will soon change. I'm hoping I get to be a part of that change.



Mignon has one of the sweetest smiles around!! Love her already!!!



Hoping to update again next week!! For those of you in the El Paso, area- I hope you are enjoying the Corn Fest this year!!! It is soooo strange not being there, but I am living vicariously through you!!!


Hugs and love,
Megan

1 comment:

  1. Oh Meggifer it is so good to hear all the things you have been doing this past week :) And yes, it makes me want to come visit you all the more :) Love the blog and pics! Keep them coming. It makes it feel like your closer to me. What a blessing you are to all those kiddos and tannies. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete