Saturday, September 1, 2012

Reality (9/1/12)

Reality has set in. This is not a short trip in which I will return home to my dear family and friends. I will be here for much longer than I ever have before.  I thought I had prepared myself for that, but I guess I wasn’t prepared enough. I thought I would not find myself feeling “homesick” until after a few months. Don’t get me wrong- I love being here! I love being reunited with my babies and friends of South Africa, but my heart also longs for my family and friends. I wish I could have both worlds together, especially today.

I’m so blessed that Amy, an Agape volunteer from Texas, was still here when I arrived, and was the one to pick me up at the airport. She has been here many times, for long amounts of time, so she had lots of wisdom and encouragement to share! She left yesterday which makes me sad that we were unable to spend more time together, but I’m happy we were finally able to meet in person. We have emailed back and forth a great deal these last few months, so meeting her in “real life” was quite a blessing!

 

I’ve moved in to my “flat” or apartment that is attached to the foster home on  Agape 2, right across the yard from where Catie Belle lives. When I went to go see her at school to let her know I was here for the first time, her eyes lit up and she gave me a great big hug! I was overwhelmed with how happy it made me that she remembered me and that she responded in that way. Last night however before bedtime, when she saw me she began to cry, and was inconsolable. I don’t know why she does this. One of the other volunteers from the Netherlands, Annette, thought maybe she just didn’t know how to process her emotions that I actually came back. I don’t know if we will ever know. I hope that later today I will be able to spend some time with her and she will warm up a little more. Please continue to pray for our relationship.

 

Here are some pictures of my house:

P8310413

This is what you see when you walk in. My bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room are all in one.It is bigger than I imagined it to be!

P8310414

The kitchen. When I arrived they had forgot to put in a stove or at least microwave so I could cook. Thankfully one of the other volunteers gave up her microwave.

 

P8310415

Here is my bathroom. Still learning the tricks to the shower: like having hot water and keeping all the water in the shower.

 

Please continue to pray for transition on both sides of the Atlantic. Huge praise for Tessa, a permanent Agape volunteer who has been a huge help and has tried to keep me busy these past few days!

 

Will post more later!

Love always,

Megan

3 comments:

  1. Megan! You are there!! Exactly where you are supposed to be! I am praying for peace and patience for you. Love you!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you. Your flat looks wonderful!! Missing you here at home but thankful you arrived safely and ready for your adventure. Take in touch! Love you!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan...praying for you.
    Swamp!

    ReplyDelete